JOIN NOW FOR FREE

Three D's to better photos   Reply to topic

Posted On: 3 May, 2013 at 07:57 PM nopolys nopolys
25 Jun, 2009

There are three important ideas to consider whenever we decide to take pictures. Not only here on the site but in all photos you take.

Three concepts (among a few others) I always try to look at before I click a shutter are;
1. Device. Is the device I'm using my best choice for taking this image? Cell/Mobile phones are almost everywhere today. It's easy to pick up an HTC, iPhone/iPad, Sony Erickson or whatever and take a LOT of photos. Devices are not created equal! A small pocket camera in most circumstances will give you more options and better resolution than many phone or tablet based imaging platforms. It isn't all about how many Megapixels, but also how good is the lens as well as the firmware inside of the case that makes a difference.
2. Distractions. We've all been there, the tree growing out of my head, the clothes basket on the floor next to the bed, the bright to dark contrasts in the picture, the cat walking through the picture at the last second. We've all seen these little problems and most of the time barely pay attention to them with little more than a passing feeling that something was a bit off in that photo. Reducing distractions by moving slightly up, down, left or right, picking up some of the daily items we get so used to we don't notice them (or alternatively using them in your photos!) means we get a leaner photo that highlights the subject at hand and ends up more pleasing to share and others to enjoy.
3. Depth of Field. All pictures, no matter if they are old skool film, digital or video require focus. In low light circumstances, the camera will "open up" (depending on what you use "iris" which is what allows light into the camera either electronically or mechanically adjusts and allows more or less light onto the image plane)and slow down the shutter speed. What ends up happening when this happens is any movement becomes blurry and the area of greatest focus sharpness becomes very short. What this means in plain talk is; in low light the subject of the picture has to be completely still and the camera has to be in the focus sweet spot. This isn't as easy as it may sound! The best way to get those eye pleasing photos is to turn on the lights or, during the day get sunlight in the room. Digital cameras need lots of light to work best! Then, with the added light, the iris can close and you have greater depth of field , which we can call Instant Focus because your subject is going to be inside the depth of field, and in focus.
I'm not a big fan of on camera flashes since they tend to over expose in a tight beam of the flash, and get dark fast around the edges (this can be a great effect for you experimental types if not over used... for those of us who enjoy looking it can become distracting). Also, red eye, and color shift are a common problem with some on camera flashes.

If you want tack sharp focus (and who doesn't!) turn on some room light whenever possible at night, or get diffused sunlight in the photo space to improve the ambient lighting to about twice what you would normally use.

If you have any suggestions about the "Three D's" please share them! This is a community and we all learn together. So please feel free to help all of us get better!

Posted On: 5 May, 2013 at 06:34 AM txsweet txsweet
29 Jan, 2010

4 damn im stilll listening....and learning

Posted On: 5 May, 2013 at 06:35 AM txsweet txsweet
29 Jan, 2010

you know what i mean.

Posted On: 5 May, 2013 at 02:57 PM nopolys nopolys
25 Jun, 2009

I do Sweet sweetie!! Someday soon we are going to get you away from your webcam just long enough to take some photos with a point&shoot camera (you can borrow one from a friend if you don't have one even!).

The camera on a table top, self timer engaged (more than the usual 10 seconds because posing takes time!) and you have an easy photo shoot in the patio, kitchen or living room! Pre- zooming the lens and allowing enough time to focus will open up many more options for you. I know self portraits are difficult! A little practice and a lot of deleted pictures and you will have some great shots!

Posted On: 23 May, 2013 at 09:25 AM txsweet txsweet
29 Jan, 2010

Ok.....keep going...your teaching me.....I did some shots of a cardinal Red Bird with a different camera, you would be so proud of me...they came out outstanding.
Want to see them?????

Posted On: 24 May, 2013 at 05:23 PM nopolys nopolys
25 Jun, 2009

Yes please Tx cutie!!

There are several topics I have planned but, want to make certain you also are interested. Is there a particular topic you want to see?

This is for all of us, please feel free to add your thoughts!

Posted On: 25 May, 2013 at 07:33 AM txsweet txsweet
29 Jan, 2010

I know you probably have a book with lots of chapters I know nothing about, So lets say...well apparently your dealing with a rookie here so please you take a pick and I promise you I wont know anything that you have chosen to tell me. I ended up 3 years ago with a brand new digital Kodak camera. I chose that one because it seem to be the most simplest. I got to use it one week-end after Christmas (that was my present to me from my son). Well unbeknownst to me that week my son decided he would take my camera to school. He did, and needless to say it was stolen. When he finally told me of course I went spaztic on him. He felt so bad (as well he should had) he somehow got enough money to buy me a sony.....a really really really old sony camera. Of course whereever he got it it came with no directions. It was the blind leading the blind. I printed out its manual which consisted of about 800 pages. I never really got anything out of it except if i were to take any pictures that i wanted to download on the web, of course I had to have the sony usb cord. Looked everywhere but the camera was so old I had to "special order "the ubs cord for a mere $120.00 it was obsolete. Used it a couple of times...i did find out where the timer was finally on it.
Well the next Christmas of course I wanted an update camera of any type. I picked out a new camera..cant remember what it was but it was one thats always been around, ill remember what it was when i post this and think about it....its a common camera. Well figured out the timer on that, didnt have to buy a new usb cord because it came with one. Used it a couple of times...and low and behold I was looking for it the other day and i'll be damned if it didnt grow legs and walk off. I freaked out...(again)...Went thru everything. looked everywhere..it just got up and walked off. Funny how cameras do that on me. Freaking out i found deep in one of my drawers a digital Olymbus camera. Someone had given that to me ages ago.
Once again however I have no manual for it nor did i have an update usb cord, the camera is I have of course is obsolete, finally found a usb cord to it...payed a nice price for that also.
I cant see me printing out another 800 pages for a manual to this camera. All i can find on this one is the trash can on all the pictures i want to delete. Oh i did also finally found the zoom lense. Have no idea where the timer is on this one so until i find that, i cant take any pictures of me. So not that I take allot of pictures of birds i thought what the hell, this is what you now have to work with so go out and see if you cant take some decent photos of red bird that posed for me. And he did to.
I was kinda proud I came out with some pretty good pictures i
dont mind saying..yes i took them. Even though i had no clue what to do..just experimented. Still cant find the timer though.
So now you heard my bio on my cameras. I dont have your email so unless you give me that i cant show you what I did, if in fact i did anything at all. If youll let me know I will send them to you and if you have time, you can tell me what I need to do to make them better, plus maybe you can tell me where my dang timer button is.

Ok so you have heard my lessons I have learned from digital cameras which is to say the least...lol...very few.

So even this didnt have any sexual content in it, at least I tried on another subject.

So you just ought to start out with chapter 1 and led me through it, assuming you have a lifetime :). Im not so sure you want to help me with everything, but youve seen how wonderful past photography has been-NOT.
Help me Baby, help me!!!!

xoxoxoxoxo

Posted On: 2 Jun, 2013 at 08:08 AM txsweet txsweet
29 Jan, 2010

That would be cool...hahaha...and different hu?

Posted On: 7 Jul, 2013 at 07:45 PM nopolys nopolys
25 Jun, 2009

Tx Sweet, if you PM the camera make and model to me, I'm thinking we can do a special post dedicated to just that camera so you can get comfy using all those buttons and knobs. Also, I'll see if we can get you a link to the manual for the camera. The more technical the camera, the longer the manual seems to be,(except Sony, they have the biggest books of any of them). We can get you through the manual easily enough so I can see your luscious body!!! heheheheh

Remember, it's all fun and you can delete and reshoot any picture any time!! when it gets frustrating to you it's time to put the camera down and come back later.

Posted On: 31 Mar, 2018 at 02:36 AM foxtree25 foxtree25
4 Feb, 2009

Here's two more things to consider--"E" or "C": Edit or Crop.
Most computers have a photo program of some sort--usually can find it in the listing. Windows has an OK one, or if you want, try ACDSee or PhotoShop Elements.
Too many of the photos here could use some editing, especially by cropping out extraneous areas that have nothing to do with the subjects. It's easy, click on the Crop box, a mask appears on the photo that can be moved about to eliminate those unwanted, and distracting elements in the photo. When it looks better, you just click save, and presto, you have a much better photo, one you and all of us, will really enjoy seeing. If you want to keep the original, click "Save As," give the cropped photo a new file name (I do so by adding a letter or number, or "cpd".)